Monday, June 2, 2008

Where's Home?

Most of my posts are about the kids, and very seldom do I try to wax eloquent. Even this attempt will probably be feeble, but I had to share this thought.

My Sunday School class goes once a month to a nursing home and sings and I give a short Bible study. I've been teaching through Psalm 23 and yesterday we were on the last verse.

You all know the last verse, "and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

I have always been taught the verse as referring to church. I wanted to be accurate so looked it up in the Hebrew. The Hebrew actually leans more to a home than a church.

Here's my translation: "and I will always be welcome at the supper table of the Lord." I remember leaving home for college and later leaving for the pastorate and both times coming back home. Throughout the years I have returned home for visits and lately, just a short "hi" and how are you (mom & dad live 7 miles from us). I am always welcome and many times open the fridge to see if mom made any tasty treats or to grab a Pepsi.

I have the same relationship with God and am always welcome in his house. His home is my home. No matter what, I can always pull up to the table of God and get my spiritual stomach filled.

Just had to share.

No comments: